LOL 792

Halliday's Bridge Faith Defenders LOL 792 was formed at “The Lany” in or around 1821, the original warrant being granted under number LOL 1193. Sometime thereafter the Lodge relocated to a barn in Bro. Johnny Kilpatrick's yard. As far it is known the Lodge was largely formed from the inhabitants of Shuttlecock Row, who were mainly weavers.

Records show that in 1866 there were 15 members of the Lodge. The first Lodge seal was cut in 1874 and a Bible was purchased at a cost of seven shillings and six pence.

By 1876 membership had increased to 30 Orangemen, with the dues being six pence per year, although dues were collected according to the means of the individual.

In 1877 it was resolved that a gallon of whisky be purchased each Twelfth to sustain the Brethren, when the Lodge walked to and from locations such as Dromara. In 1878 the Lodge's Lambeg drumming tradition was commenced with the purchase of a drum from D. Leinster; a fiddler and fifer were engaged to accompany the drum for the Twelfth parade. This was followed by the acquisition of a second drum from Thomas Hewitt in 1883 and a third in 1886, at a cost of three pounds ten shillings.

By this time membership had increased to some 40 Brethren, although dues were reduced to six pence due to the prevailing economic climate.

As a sign of the confidence of the Brethren of Halliday's Bridge an Orange hall was built in 1908. At this time of the Ulster Crisis, a volunteer body was formed in the hall to fight Home Rule, with the volunteers regularly staging drill practice in the hall.

1913 saw the Lodge number being changed to LOL 792, a lodge from Cabra having previously operated under this number. The Lodge was also named Halliday's Bridge Faith Defenders. A banner, costing £16, was purchased to replace the Lodge flag, together with new sashes.

Two of the Lambeg drums were painted with images of King William and Sir Edward Carson in 1914. In 1935 an ante room was added to the Orange hall and a new banner was purchased and unfurled on 13 th June 1035. In 1961 an image of Bro. Herbie Crangle, a former Worshipful Master of the Lodge, was depicted on the third Lambeg drum and a new banner was also unfurled in that year. The Lambeg drumming tradition continues today with Bro. Jacob Hull and Bro. Gary Hill being distinguished exponents of the big drum.

During the 1970's and 1980's the Lodge held a yearly Orange supper with various guest speakers and entertainment. This event became an annual diary date and was attended from throughout the District.

Further works were performed to the hall in 2000 and 2002 with oil heating and new toilets being added. 2008 saw the centenary of the hall with commemorative badges and medals being struck to mark the occasion.

 

Images