LOL 345

Kilwarlin LOL 345 was constituted on 10 th December 1823. The first warrant was granted to Bro. Issac Megarry, with the Lodge reportedly sitting a place called “Freestone Quarry”. It is worth noting that there is also another working Lodge within the Grand Orange of Ireland using the number LOL 345, being Killycopple LOL 345 in County Armagh (early records show that in 1798 Warrant No. 345 was meeting in Co. Fermanagh. In November 1823 the warrant was working in Armagh District).

In May 1953 the foundation stone for a new Orange Hall was laid by the widow of Sir William Allen, the prominent County Armagh l inen manufacturer, Orangeman, Past Sovereign Grand Master of the Imperial Grand Black Chapter of the British Commonwealth , Unionist politician, soldier and Member of Parliament. The Sir William Allen Memorial Hall was opened later that year. Due to the increasing cost of maintaining the hall, the Lodge now sits at the old St. James' school house, meeting on the first Wednesday of each month.

Between 1921 and 1947 Bro. H. J. Haslem served as Worshipful Master. Whilst servitude of 26 years is in itself remarkable, the fact that Bro. Haslem resided in Belfast and travelled to and from Lodge meetings on a bicycle underscores his dedication to the Lodge.

LOL 345 has a proud Lambeg drumming tradition and this continues to the present day. Bro. Robin Megarry, the current Deputy Master, is an Ulster and Lagan Valley champion and competes regularly around the country.

 

Images