LOL 144

LOL 144 is one of the oldest lodges in Hillsborough, having obtained its warrant in February 1798. Brother J. McCall was installed as the Lodge's first Worshipful Master, presiding over 100 members. Records show that the Lodge paraded in Dromore on 12 th July 1798, walking from Hillsborough and later being presented with colours by Captain Lane of the Downshre Yeomanry upon their return to the village.

The Lodge sat in the upper room of Hillsborough market house until ownership of the property passed from the Downshire estate. Having decided not to participate in the building of the new Orange Hall in Hillsborough, the Lodge relocated to the home of Bro. Sammy Magee at No. 10 Ballynahinch Street until 1973. It now sits at Arthur Street Orange Hall in conjunction with LOL 823.

The Lodge derives its name from Lord Arthur Hill, the younger son of the 4 th Marquis of Downshire, who was Member of Parliament for Down, and latterly Down West, and a much respected figure in local affairs. Following his death in 1931, the Lodge, with the blessing of the Downshire family, adopted his name as a mark of respect. It is interesting to note that what is now Endenderry LOL 322 in County Armagh was known as Lord Arthur Hill's LOL 322 between 1895 and 1905.

The Lodge had a proud tradition of Lambeg drumming, the principal tutor being the late Bro. Stewart Walker. Nowadays, the Lodge normally parades with the accompaniment of Hillsborough Protestant Boys Flute Band but the drums still receive a rattle on the Twelfth morning.

LOL 144 boasts a proud history of distinguished members. The late Bro. Joseph Shortt served the lodge as Worshipful Master for over twenty years and passed through each office within Hillsborough District, including Worshipful District Master for three years. Upon Bro. Shortt's death, the Bro. Joseph Shortt Memorial Junior LOL 267 was formed providing guidance and enjoyment to the younger generation in the ways of Orangeism. Indeed, today, many of the current Lodge members were formerly junior Orangemen.

The Lodge meets on the second Wednesday of each month. There are currently 3 past District Masters within its ranks, Bro. Bobby Davis, Bro. Francis Hughes and Bro. Alan Finn, and has 29 members on its roll book.

 

Images